The La Loma Catholic Cemetery (Campo Santo de La Loma) was opened in 1884 and is located in Caloocan City, Metro Manila. A portion of the southern part of the cemetery is located in Manila.
The La Loma Cemetery is the oldest cemetery in Manila with an area of slightly less than 54 hectares (130 acres). It was opened in 1884 and was originally known as Cementerio de Binondo (Binondo Cemetery) as the area was then under the jurisdiction of Santa Cruz during the Spanish Colonial Period.
Spanish officials warned Filipino rebels that once they joined the uprising, they can no longer be buried in Catholic cemeteries on the consecrated ground like La Loma and thus denied of what then was considered a “decent” burial in their time of death.
Campo Santo de La Loma is one of the few sites that escaped ruin during World War II in the 1945 Battle of Manila where most of the city’s collection of architecture was destroyed. That leaves it as a crucial piece of the country’s historical heritage of architecture.